Thursday, February 23, 2012

Blood Brotherhood

Blood brotherhood, or blood sisterhood, or even blood acquaintance, is an idea that is older than I am, and definitely predates AIDs or other blood born disease worries. At rock-bottom, its promise is that of two person's blood-lines merging one to another brought about by physically mixing two person's blood. You become my true-born brother when your blood enters me, and I become your true-born brother when my blood enters you. As our bloods mix, our lives merge.

In olden-times blood brotherhood was a staple of pirates and boy scouts (and girl scouts I might add.)

So "what is the relationship of blood-bothers to vampires," you might ask; and rightly so.

It seems to SweetGoth that this idea of blood merging two lives together is metaphorically similar to the idea of a vampire drinking my blood, and my life energy entering him/her/it and allowing him/her/it to "live." The relationship becomes stronger if one considers the methods most vampires use to propagate their species -- a blood exchange through which the vampire takes the life energy of the "victim" and in exchange joins the "victim" to the vampire's undead family, an eternal joining.

With his long talon-like nails he gnashed his wrist vein and then pressed it to my own which he had opened and fed from. As his blood merged with my own, I felt heat running up my arm though the large vein. I felt light-headed, and then the world went away. When I woke three days later, he was there waiting for me; his brother.

No comments: